Korea Biobank Network
detail content area
Keimyung University Dongsan Medical Center
KUDMC was founded in 1899 as the first Western missionary medical institution in the Daegu and Gyeongbuk districts of Korea. It is a patient-centered hospital equipped with state-of-the-art medical facilities. It also contributes actively to the national health, as well as to medical services and missions abroad.
KUDMC Biobank was approved as a gene bank in 2008 by the Ministry of Health and Welfare. Since its establishment, valuable human bioresources have been obtained systematically during the course of clinical practice, with the consent of patients. Collections are made regularly.
The Ministry selected KUDMC Biobank as a Regional Biobank in 2009; it has actively participated in the KBP since then. It aims to implement personalized medicine in future by securing diverse, high-quality human bioresources and distributing them to researchers based on thoroughly validated clinical and epidemiological materials.
- June 2007: Submission of motion to establish a Biobank
- February 2008: Granting of license to open a gene bank
- March 2008: Beginning of collection of bioresources during surgery
- July 2008: Opening ceremony for the Biobank
- January 2009: Signing an MOU with the Department of Pathology, Graduate School of the University of Tokyo, Japan
- February 2009: Selection as a Regional Biobank by the Ministry of Health and Welfare
- April 2009: Beginning of collection of bioresources from internal medicine
- June 2009: Held the 1th International Biobank Symposium
- December 2010: Held the 2th International Biobank Symposium
- February 2011: Selection as the bank to chair operations of the Biobank Conference
- June 2011: Held the 3th International Biobank Symposium; Signed an MOU with Neomics and the College of Pharmacy,
Seoul National University
- June 2012: Held the 4th International Biobank Symposium
- August 2012: Headed the Biobank Conference Symposium
- June 2013: Held the 5th International Biobank Symposium
- June 2013: Hosted Biobank International Symposium
- September 2013: Signing an MOU with Kaohsiung Chang Gung Hospital Biobank, Taiwan; Held joint symposium
with the Kyungpook NUH Biobank
- June 2014: Held the 6th International Biobank Symposium
- August 2014: Held joint symposium with the Kyungpook NUH Biobank and Biobank Study Group of the Korean Society of Pathologists
- August 2015: Held the 7th International Biobank Symposium
- August 2015: Signing an MOU agreement with the National Health Research Institutes, Miaoli County, Taiwan
- December 2015: Receive a commendation the Minister of Health and Welfare Conferment Selection of superior institutions
- June 2016: Held joint symposium with the Gyeongsang Province Biobank
- July 2016: Held the 8th International Biobank Symposium
- July 2017: Held the 9th International Biobank Symposium
- July 2017: Held joint symposium with the Gyeongsang Province Biobank
- July 2018: Held the 10th International Biobank Symposium
- July 2018: Held joint symposium with the Gyeongsang Province Biobank
- July 2019: Hosted a joint symposium with the Gyeongsang Province Biobank
- October 2019: Held the 11th International Biobank Symposium
Status of Human Bioresources
KUDMC Biobank has adopted an operating system with teams on different diseases for the specialized collection of human bioresources. As of December 2019, tissue from 7,797 individuals (92,910 vials), blood from 38,661 individuals (326,934 vials), and bodily fluids from 1,764 individuals (4,917 vials) have been collected and are in storage. In total, the Biobank has collected specimens from 43,446 individuals (852,566 vials). Of these, the human biospecimens for 6,067 individuals include sets of normal tissue, tumor tissue, plasma, buffy coat, and serum. Samples from this bank comply with high quality standards. KUDMC Biobank’s pathologists histologically examine each tissue specimen. Subsequent H&E staining of mirror image slides provide additional verification that banked samples match the primary diagnostic specimen. In addition, the Biobank regularly performs quality control of RNA samples using Agilent Bioanalyzer.
Projects and Distribution Results
KUDMC Biobank has distributed human bioresources for research to basic and clinical professors in the KUDMC as well asinvarious other institutions, such as Seoul National University, Neomics, Ltd., Korean Bioengineering Research Institute, Pohang University of Science and Technology, and National Cancer Center. Research outcomes using our distributed human bioresources have been published in distinguished international SCI journals such as Proteomics, and Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. More research products are expected.
Public Relations and Future Plans
KUDMC Biobank actively participates in the One-stop Distribution System currently in operation. It plans to yield project results through this systematic and standardized system for distribution. In addition, the Biobank participates in and hosts various domestic and international symposia; its goal is to become an international-level biobank through active international exchanges and MOU agreements.
- Address: 2nd floor, Annex Building, Keimyung University Dongsan Medical Center, 1035, Dalgubeol-daero, Dalseo-gu, Daegu, Republic of Korea (42601)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org